Tuesday, May 31, 2011

plant dyed silk in the playroom

Back when Spring had just just begun I posted some pics of the twenty yards of silk I had plant dyed with friends at Naiya's school.  Since then the ideas for hanging this lovely, sunny silk have undergone a number of modifications, not the least of which was swapping the playroom and office spaces over the last two weeks.

Finally today I enlisted Oma and Opa's help in getting the silk up onto the ceiling.  With our three minds put together we came up with the concept of looping the fabric around an embroidery hoop that hung from hook-eyes bolted into the ceiling around the perimeter of the light.  From there the material swags over to the picture rails where it is held in place under a dowel kept up with tacks and nails. 

I think we're still not totally pleased with the look.

Now that I see it all in place, I'm thinking the three foot width ought to have been completely expanded at the outer edges instead of gathered into two foot wide clusters. 

Perhaps I'll make some adjustments in the days to come.

For now we love the way the light shimmers around this new bright room and relish in the radiance of the sunburst that hovers over our heads.

6 comments:

  1. wow, it looks so gorgeous! Id love to do something like this in my daycare playroom when we move to our next house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies! If anyone is interested, I was able to buy silk in bulk from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ They also sell pre-hemmed silk scarves in various sizes and natural and acid dyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up..
    Silk Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...