Thursday, May 24, 2012

wooden starbursts and sunsets (clothespin crafts)

With Spring in full swing and Summer fast approaching, we're hanging our laundry out on the line, and I'm feeling inspired by those ever versatile and useful clothespins.  It seems like there are endless crafts to be created with those handy clips.  I was thinking of a sun to hang over the Nature Table when I made these, but, now that I'm looking at them, I'm actually thinking they'd be better as snowflakes.  Since I just can't wait until Winter to post these pics though, I'm going to at least try out my original idea.



I think they're kind of pretty no matter what we imagine them to be.  They're also super easy to make and kids can help too!


All that's needed for their creation are some clothespins and glue.  (I use quick drying craft glue but a glue gun or other adhesive would probably work fine as well.)









I started by taking all the clothespins apart.

(Depending on the specific size and shape of the pins used, the number needed for a complete circle will vary from about 22 to 30.)

(Ed. Note Dec. 2013: I just found a great use for the leftover metal bits!  Check it out here.)





I then glued the two separated pieces back together back to back.











After they had dried, I glued the smaller ends together to form the starburst shape.











To make an even, smooth inside edge, it helped to use a form to push the pins against.  For this size, I found the perfect sized lid as a kind of mold.

They can be decorated or, of course, left in their natural state.

 





The round starbursts I'll probably hang in a window but Naiya and I also made and decorated a half circle to use in pretend play as a setting sun.  So sparkly!





As an afterthought...
When these new creations were sitting around the kitchen waiting for some inspired use, I realized they'd also make for natural, sort of retro coasters and trivets!




8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! we are definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are neat, and a great design. I like the painted one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun craft idea! Love the glittered one as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so inspired! Love that you have taken such a simple item and turned it into something so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! We have fun making dragonflies and planes with our spare pegs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've made planes before but never dragonflies. Sounds lovely. I was looking around your blog hoping to find a picture but didn't. (Beautiful felted dragons though! That hand dyed wool is gorgeous.) Can you share a link to the dragonflies? Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...